wieyedoc
wieyedoc, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Over two decades of clinical practice. Completed a medical internship in New York City
48069651

I am a member of Just Answer. Previously I asked a law

Customer Question

I am Olga Emery and I am a member of Just Answer. Previously I asked a law question about my foot injury, and this question is a medical question about my injury. The injury occurred almost three years ago, and I fell and tore the ligaments in my right foot. Also a sustained an open wound on my foot that became badly infected. Before a swab was taken, several antibiotics were prescribed, but without effect and the swelling just increased.A swab was then taken that showed the infection was mainly from pseudomonas species (10^7 conc.) and several different antibiotics were given to me by intravenous drip and by injection. All these different antibiotics were given to me over a short period of a few weeks. The doctor said I had medical Hepatitis. Afterwards, I had an enlarged liver and problems with my liver function. A blood test at the time showed my levels of AST GGT and ALT were too high, and I had a high cholesterol level. Almost three years later, I still have liver problems despite taking Essentiale Forte, and I still have high cholesterol, even though I avoid foods high in cholesterol and saturated fats.My question is, how can I improve my liver function and reduce my cholesterol level - without taking statins? I cannot go to the gym, because I still get bad pain in my foot when I exercise.Thank you.
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 10 months ago.

Hi. My name is***** and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.

Question and answer is just one of the services I offer. I can also provide you with premium services, such as live telephone or skype consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested.

do you have copies of your records you can upload?

Do you have any other medical problems or take any medications?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hello, I am taking lipoic acid in addition to Essential Forte, that I mention in my question, to help my liver function. Thank you, Olga

Thank you for that additional information.

The most direct answer?

There is nothing you can do on your own to improve your liver function.

You will require medical management by your GP or, perhaps, a hepatologist.

Does this make sense to you?

I realize that this was not the answer you were hoping to hear but it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information.

Surely, you prefer that I tell the truth rather than what you wish to hear. Because it reflects very poorly on me unless you press one of the top three feedback choices, keep this in mind when rating my answer and please do not punish me for being honest. I understand that this may not be easy to hear, and I empathize.

Even though my answer was not quite what you were hoping for, please understand that my priority was to provide you with the most honest information. With that in consideration, I hope that you found my answer useful. Please click the excellent feedback button so that I can receive credit for my efforts.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thanks for your reply. I don't have any further questions at the moment. Olga