Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

Over the last few months, there has been occasions (3-4)

Over the last few months, there has been occasions (3-4) where there is blood on the toilet paper after I have been to the toilet. (Only on the first wipe and usually a strip of light-ish blood) This usually lasts 2-3 days and goes. Yesterday my anus was very sore and sitting/walking wasnt very easy. This blood/soreness seems to be worse after I have had spicy food (but may be a coincidence). I was wondering whether this is obviously haemorrhoids, or signs something more serious
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 6 months ago.

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. I'm Dr. Hasan and I'll try to help you. I am reviewing your question and I will get back to you as soon as possible.

Thanks for waiting.

Do you have a family history of cancer?

Do you get frank blood as well?

Do you have symptoms like weight loss, loss of appetite, mucus in stool, constipation, diarrhea etc?

Have you tried anything so far?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
HiMy aunt died of stomach cancer.I'm not sure what you mean by frank blood. The only blood I get is the blood I described.I did have diarrhoea yesterday (only time in these past 4 months). No other symptoms thoughThe last time I had blood and felt like I had haemorrhoids, I used a cream. This was in early July and the cream helped in a couple of days. This was the last time I had blood until a few days ago.

Thanks a lot for your input. I am sorry to hear about your problem. I am going to address your primary concern but later you can ask anything you want. As per your symptoms, I don't suspect cancer. In my opinion yes it can be hemorrhoids or it can be something like colon polyp. The ensuring fact in your history is the betterment of the symptoms off and on. In case of cancer, the symptoms shouldn't have gotten better in between. The worsening of the symptoms after spicy food also make hemorrhoids more likely. I would suggest you to use OTC Hemorrhoidal cream twice daily for 15 days and take OTC metamucil twice daily. If your symptoms persist after 15 days, see a gastroenterologist. I reassure you that there is nothing to worry and you are going to be alright. I wish you good luck and that you get well soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always. Regards

Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
HiThank you very much for the reply.Today I woke up and the soreness has gone, but it's a little itchy.Is there anything to help with that or will it go in time?

Thanks a lot for your Input. You can take otc tablet claritin once daily for that. Regards