Family Physician
Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  GP with over 27 years experience including emergency medicine
1304720

I've been suffering with itchy skin for just over 6 months

Customer Question

I've been suffering with itchy skin for just over 6 months now - it started on my vulva (no other symptoms), then my scalp (which I managed with T-gel anti-dandruff) and over the course of the 6 months, it's now happening on my hands and feet (particularly my wrists, the soft fleshy bit between my thumbs and forefingers (not the webbing) and the palms of my hands and the tops of my feet). I've been checked for all STDs, swabbed for yeast, BV and other infections and all come back negative. I've also been told that everything looks down there - not even any inflammation.
Tonight my scalp and the skin behind my ears has been driving me nuts too. When I scratch, little red bumps appear but disappear within an hour or so.
I've also had blood work done which checked my liver function, my thyroid, my blood sugar, my iron levels and folic acid levels - all of which have also come back fine.
I'd describe the itching as intermittent - I have good days and bad days. If I scratch, it gets worse. I've tried steroid cream, doublebase cream and a soap substitute for when I bathe. I also only use non-irritant fabric softener and detergent, and wear 100% cotton underwear.
I've tried anti-histamines which seem to help the other areas I feel itchy (hands and feet mostly) but not my vulva.
Any help anyone could give would be hugely appreciated! I'm 29 years old.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 11 months ago.

This is Dr. David

do you have excessive anxiety symptoms?

excessive anxiety can cause you to feel itchy and scratching can make it worse.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I would say I was particularly stressed and unhappy for about 3 weeks leading to when it all started but since then I've been fine - no more stressed or anxious than normal levels. Only anxious about the itching - I try very hard not to scratch as I'm aware that it can start an itch-scratch cycle but this doesn't seem to help.

I am sorry you have been having increased stress.

any rash on your skin?

any need for you to upload a photo of your itchy skin?

did you have any other problems with anxiety or itchy skin prior to this 6 month period of time?

have you used moisturizer after your showers daily to help calm down and moisturize your skin?

have you tried any calming cream like calendula creams? these could help.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I've attached two photos of two separate occasions on my hands - these rashes appeared when I scratched my skin and made the skin feel even itchier.I'd not had any problems like this before these 6 months.I use double base cream on my vulva after showering and previously tried eurax for a week a few months back but am worried of trying anything long term in case it makes things worse!I also use a soap substitute in the shower.

I see

do you think you would benefit from seeing a psychotherapist to help you stop scratching.