Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I am a 31 year old mother of two boys aged 5 and 7. Over the

Customer Question

I am a 31 year old mother of two boys aged 5 and 7. Over the last 10 months i have had 3 subsequent failed smears, and the pelvic ultrasound revealed a hemorrhagic complex cyst (4,6 cm) in my left ovary. My CA125 level was 24.
Im currently anxiously waiting for a colposcopy appointment and due to see a specialist on 12th september. Suffering from constant bloating, lower back and leg pain, lower abdomen cramps, heavy discharge. I am also severely aneamic, awaiting iron infusion ( iron 3, hemaoglobin 6), needless to say i am feeling very weak. Also suffer from occasional post coital bleeding.
My question is, what steps should be taken? Is it common to have 3 inadequate smears in this day and age? Can the ovarian cyst and failed smears be related?
I am sick with worry i hope you can shed some light intı my situation. Many thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would also like to add, after the second failed smear, lower and higher vaginal swabs were taken in order to eliminate the possibility of infection/std but it all came back clear. Thanks.
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 1 year ago.

The cysts and the pap smears are not related. What was the actual result of the pap smear. There is no such thing as a "failed smear"

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Unable to process. Inadequate.
All samples were taken by a very experienced nurse and she was confident each time that she had taken good samples.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. Love, a different expert.

It is not common to have multiple smears that could not be processed because of an inadequate specimen. However, it can occur if the area of transition is higher in the cervix than is typical. The area if transition is where the lining changes from the lining inside the uterus to the lining inside the vagina.

The usual next step is the colposcopy for which you are scheduled. The statistical likelihood is very good that you will ultimately not be found to have any problems, but it cannot be said with certainty until the colposcopy is done.

There is no reason that the ovarian cyst would cause the inability to collect an adequate cervical specimen.