wieyedoc
wieyedoc, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Over two decades of clinical practice. Completed a medical internship in New York City
48069651

I've had a strange black (looks a little like a bruise)

Hi, I've had a strange black mark (looks a little like a bruise) under my big toenail in the shape of what I can only describe as a small flame. As there is no history of trauma, I'm concerned that it could be something more sinister. I can attach a picture if required. I'm hoping it's just a bruise but unsure what to do?
Kerry
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Picture attached
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 10 months ago.

Hi. My name is***** and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.

Question and answer is just one of the services I offer. I can also provide you with premium services, such as live telephone or skype consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested.

How long has this been present?

Has it changed at all?

Do you have any other medical problems or take any medications?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi, I'm not sure how long it has been present as I've had nail varnish on for the last few weeks. It definitely wasn't there 4 weeks ago when I applied nail varnish. I haven't noticed it change in the last few days since noticing it. I'm otherwise fit and healthy and go to the gym m at least 4 times a week.

Kerry,

Thank you for that additional information.

the good news? Melanomas do not grow that fast as a general rule.....

So. If it was not there 4 weeks ago then it is most likely a bruise under your nail. Like a bruise elsewhere on your body it may spread a bit and change colors as it heals.

Of course, the only way to know for sure would be to have your MD take a look at it in person...but if it were me? I'd not worry at this point.

Does this make sense to you?

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS