Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I have broken the 5th metatarsal in my right foot, this was

Customer Question

I have broken the 5th metatarsal in my right foot, this was 2 weeks ago. I was seen in Accident and Emergency after it happened and given a walking boot and 2 crutches. I am not putting weight on it. I have an appointment with a doctor in the trauma unit on Monday. I could possibly go back to work on Thursday and Friday before this appointment. I am a counsellor, so I sit in a chair most of the time! However, I don't know if I should go back to work before I have seen the doctor. I tried to get hold of my GP today, but wasn't able to. Should I call in sick for these two days? Also - I have been elevating my foot a little, but not all the time (I am a Mum with Kids at home and I just can't!). Will there be any negative outcomes of not elevating the foot in the long run (apart from swelling?).
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome.

Since 2 weeks have passed you can resume your office work but try to keep the foot stress free and elevate it whenever you get time that is after every 2 to 3 hours period. Nothing to worry about. Do not try to run though.

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.

Please do not forget to leave a positive rating by clicking on the stars on top of the screen.

Wish you good health.