Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I have been using crutches for just over a week and have

I have been using crutches for just over a week and have been experiencing weakness in my left hand. I am struggling to write ( left handed) and to grip things.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 11 months ago.

Hi and welcome.

These are symptoms of nerve impingement and in your case it is most likely in the axilla where you are putting pressure by your crutches, pressing the nerve where it enters the arm. I would recommend you to use the crutches properly and use padded crutches.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Please do not forget to leave a positive rating by clicking on the stars on top of the screen.

Wish you good health.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
But I am using elbow crutches not underarm.

If these are elbow crutches then they can put pressure on the median and the ulnar nerve most likely the ulnar nerve, which has a very superficial course in and around the elbow joint. The best fix is to relieve the pressure from whichever site is being compressed, the elbow in your case.

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 10 months ago.

Wish you good health.