Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor
Experience:  20 Years in Internal Medicine, Neurology and Sports Medicine
61817858

I had a tonsillectomy 22 days ago. Day 4 I had bleeding and

I had a tonsillectomy 22 days ago. Day 4 I had bleeding and had to stay in hospital for 4 nights. My throat looks like it's healing well and no need for pain meds in the last 2 days. Today though I have felt a lot of mucus in my chest that i can't seem to cough up and when I breath in you hear a wheeze. Is it ok to take some mucus cough syrup. Could this be a sign of a chest infection.
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.

Hi Sarah. This could certainly be bronchitis or even pneumonia, especially after your recent surgery and bleeding episode. The mucous may be narrowing of the airway, or there could be an element of asthma (e.g. asthmatic bronchitis). This type of condition often requires antibiotics and inhalers. I would suggest you get an appointment with your GP or visit an express care clinic for proper evaluation and treatment. In the meantime, a mucous cough syrup (exepectorant) might be helpful in terms of keeping the airway relatively free of debri.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would you recommend A and E? Or doctors in the morning? Could this get worse and should I get it seen to quickly. Currently no fever.
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.

If you develop fever, chest pain, or shortness of breath you should be seen right away. If not, and you are eating and drinking and funtioning more or less normally, you can wait until the morning. It is not likely to get worse, and if it does it will likely do so slowly...assuming you are in good health otherwise.