Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I am 65 years old. I have type 2 diabetes.. I take 4 x

Customer Question

I am 65 years old.
I have type 2 diabetes..
I take 4 x Metformin 500 daily and 2x 80 my.
I also take 1 rosuvostatin 20 my daily.
I am currently on holiday in Southern Spain near Gibraltar where I have been for the last 6 weeks.
I have developed a chill alternating with a feever and aching mussels which started 6 days ago.
I am taking Ibrupofen 400 mg 2 or 3 times a day.
I am generally fit and active and expected it to be due to slightly too much sun although I avoid direct sunlight preferring shade.
I was expecting it to clear up of its own accord.
I have spent the last 5 days and nights in bed and resting.
There is slight improvement but the alternating chill and feever persists.
Can you suggest another course of action?
Keith Sharkey07785282932
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 10 months ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

What is the highest that your temperature has gotten when you have the fever?

Are you having any shortness of breath or cough that is producing purulent sputum (green or yellow sputum)?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have just today developed a slight tickly cough ( but not very frequent.)
No sputum.
No idea what you temperature has been.
I just know that I have been shivering uncontrollably in bed (despite heavy covers and clothing and ambient temperature of 26-28 C.)
This then Alternates with profusive sweating ( same ambient temperature)
I have been drinking lots of liquids and sitting in front of a fan.
I have been urinating 3 times an hour through the small hours.
I have largely lost my appetite.

A mild to moderate fever associated with chills/shivering and muscle aches is typically from a viral infection. most of these infections would only last for 3-5 days, but about 10-15% of these infections can last two weeks or so. Since you have had these symptoms for 6 days, this is still very likely to be a viral syndrome.

There are some symptoms, though, that are worrisome. If the fever is higher, such as 39.5-40 degrees, that would be more worrisome. It is also possible that a generic viral infection can cause a secondary pneumonia to develop, and a sudden higher fever or the onset of shortness of breath or a cough productive of purulent sputum would be worrisome that a secondary bacterial infection is developing. A slight tickly cough is common with a generic viral infection and is not a concern.

As long as you are not having any of the worrisome symptoms, it is fine to continue to manage this as a viral infection, as you have been doing. Using ibuprofen or paracetamol for the fever and aching is fine. Drinking plenty of liquids is important to maintain hydration. You say that there is already slight improvement, and there typically will be more rapid improvement over the next few days to a week or so. As long as there is steady improvement and no development of worrisome symptoms, then it would be fine to give it another week to see if it will resolve spontaneously.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance.