Dr.Amita
Dr.Amita, Doctor
Experience:  MD.Extensive knowledge of medicine.Faculty at a leading tertiary care teaching hospital.
20638885

I recently had severe bites and was put on Flucloxacillin

Customer Question

I recently had severe bites and was put on Flucloxacillin 250mg. Two days ago this was changed to 500 mg and the bites are certainly getting better. I now have cystitis which I often get. I have Trimethoprim antibiotics and always have a set here. Can I take those as well, should I lower the dose of the Flucloxacillin.
Expert:  Dr.Amita replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your question.

You may start trimethoprim for cystitis as flucloxacillin may not be very effective for treatment of cystitis.

You do not need to lower flucloxacillin dose while taking trimethoprim.

Do take plenty of fluids to treat cystitis and to prevent dehydration due to diarrhea.

To treat diarrhea due to antibiotics you should take yogurt with live bacterial cultures as well as probiotics to replenish the good bacteria in your gut.

This is my initial answer.Please reply if you need any other information.