Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

I have been a type diabetic for 55 years I get a sharp pain

Customer Question

I have been a type diabetic for 55 years I get a sharp pain in my hand my fingers seem to lock i cannot hold any thing till it stops it is now affecting all 4 fingers it occurs when i an hold some thing do you have any idea i have seen my GP 3 times and have not had an answer
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. David

I am sorry you are having locking of your fingers and having difficulty holding things.

you need to talk to your doctor about blood test to check for rheumatoid arthritis which can cause these symptoms.

there are blood tests for rheumatoid factor and anti-cyclic citrullinated peptide (anti-CCP) antibodies which can tell if you may have rheumaoid arthritis. you should talk to your GP doctor about these blood tests.

also you could be having neuropathy or damaged nerves in your arms and hands from your diabetes.

there are neuropathy medications like neurontin (gabapentin) or lyrica (pregabalin) which could help with neuropathy.

you may benefit from an xray of your hands as well.

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com