Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

I would like some advice. I was diagnosed with NEADS (

Customer Question

I would like some advice.
I was diagnosed with NEADS ( seizure with following migraine) they think as a result of a bicycle accident even though I was wearing a helmet..
The seizures occur just about once a year but just recently since December 2015 every 4 months..
I do get a warning of an aura but it is very sudden and most time too quick before I am able to take the medication I was prescribed,(Sumatriptan 50mg)
MRI and heart checks were done on 2 occasions and ca e back all clear and no sign of epilepsy.
I am 24 years old male and very frustratedthat I cannot get any answers to the cause.
I think that stress is a factor as I have just finishes a Masters university degree and job searching.
Any advise on anything or treatment I could try would be greatly appreciated.
Sean
Expert:  Dr. David replied 11 months ago.

This is Dr. David

I am sorry you have been found to have Non epileptic attack disorder.

there is controversy about this disorder

http://www.epilepsy.com/article/2014/3/truth-about-psychogenic-nonepileptic-seizures

you can read more there

stress can increase these attacks.

there is a therapeutic technique called Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR) which integrates elements of many psychotherapies including: psychodynamic, cognitive behavioral, interpersonal, experiential, and body-centered therapies.

during EMDR session the client attends to past and present experiences in brief sequential doses while simultaneously focusing on an external stimulus.

Then the client is instructed to let new material become the focus of the next set of dual attention.

This sequence of dual attention and personal association is repeated many times in the session

this could help prevent these attacks.

you will need to see a psychotherapist or congnitive behavioral therapist to help you with these treatments.

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com