Daniel Sheibley, MD
Daniel Sheibley, MD, Doctor
Experience:  MD Grad Jefferson Medical College 2009. Internal Med intern 2010 & Radiology residency 2011. Husband & father of two.
62460980

I have some little lumps on my shin bone under the skin, one

Customer Question

I have some little lumps on my shin bone under the skin, one is quite tender to touch but overly painful, i went to my doctor and he said it is lipoma but since then the one has become tender, he only looked at them and touched them, can he know without doing any tests?
Could they be anything more serious?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry its meant to say......
Not overly painful
Expert:  Daniel Sheibley, MD replied 1 year ago.

Hello. The most inexpensive/best use of resources to evaluate this is to have an ultrasound of the region. An ultrasound can tell you if they are just fatty tissue. And if needed a biopsy can be taken of certain masses/lesions under ultrasound guidance. The next level of testing would be a CT or MRI of the leg. MRI would show the soft tissues the best. I would suggest and ultrasound first if there is any concern. They most likely would be lipomas or small lymph nodes, however non-benign masses can't be excluded without imaging. Does that answer your question to satisfaction?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
should i not accept that they are Lipomas from my doctor, should i go to hospital and see what they say?

No urgent need to go to the hospital but I would inquire with your doctor about getting an ultrasound to confirm they are lipomas

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
even the one little lump is tender they are not life threatening, cant be a blood clot or anything?

that would be determined with the ultrasound. But no i don't suspect that would be a blood clot. Blood clots are deeper within the calf. Superficial veins can clot off at time but they are no issue

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks, ***** ***** be tender to touch? The skin above the lump has gonna like a circle of brown, the doctor seemed confident it was just a lipoma but now i feel silly for not questioning it, i just agreed and walked out

They generally arent painful, however if pressed on repeatedly and if superficial on top of the bone you may induce some tenderness. I'd still inquire about an ultrasound for confidence

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you

Have a good weekend and glad to help

Did I answer your question to satisfaction?