Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

I have an ENT questions for someone. I got really bad ear

I have an ENT questions for someone. I got really bad ear pain and discharge a week ago. I wasn't able to go to the doctor for three days when I did she said I had Otitis externa and gave me anti bacterial ear drops. They didn't work so I saw a dr again on day 6 as the pain was unbearable. She gave me anti biotics and the pain is a bit more bearable but I still feel very fragile, feverish. The tinnitus is also I very loud and has been for a week. I'm hoping the anti biotics clear it soon and I feel normal soon. How long will it take for the tinnitus to go? Is tinnitus common with otitis externa ?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. David

usually tinnitus is not common with otitis externa, but is common with otitis media inner ear infections.

since the ear drops didn't work and the oral antibiotics helped more and you had tinnitus, it is sounds like you had an otitis media inner ear infection

that is good the antibiotics are helping some

sometimes a course of steroid therapy can help decrease inflammation in the inner ear and can help with otitis media symptoms.

it can sometimes take 1-2 weeks for the tinnitus to get better.

make sure you take your antibiotics with food in your stomach

you should also take a probiotic daily as well to prevent diarrhea from antibiotics.

let me know if you have other questions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. So the same anti biotics will work if it's middle ear too? It's amoxiclav
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

amoxiclav can work for most inner ear infections.

hopefully your tinnitus will get better with time

you can try to help drain fluid out of your inner ear by yawning and thrusting your lower jaw forwards at the same time which can help open up your eustachian tube which can help drain fluid from your inner ear down into your throat.

it can take some practice to get better at that.

if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com