Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

I am a 31 year old woman who has had a multitude of issues;

Customer Question

I am a 31 year old woman who has had a multitude of issues; before April this year I was completely healthy but out of the blue started suffering from dizzy spells- I went to gp who first of all diagnosed labrynthitus, but as these episodes continued diagnosed a virus. I was off work for a month with worrying symptoms such as extreme fatigue, digestion issues such as bad stomach ache, pins and needles in head, arms and dizzy spells, palpitations. After a multitude of tests- ultrasound of abdomen, 24 hr urine test, ECG, chest X Ray's, 7 day heart Monitor this all came back normal, incl. a general blood test. I felt a little better and managed to go back to work. I then started to get bad tension headaches which felt like someone was squeezing my skull. After quitting old job and an incident with director which was stressful- I began suffering badly from anxiety and depression. I now have been put on 10mg of citropram, on 3rd week which has helped slightly. I have had a stressful two years with the bereavement of losing my father suddenly. However, since I've been ill- I have been getting a very strange menstrual cycle, I will bleed for 7 days, 3 day gap of nothing and then bleed for another 7 days. My doctor tells me this is caused by stress but to me my symptoms seem more clinical than this. Is it possible that hormones could be behind these symptoms I am experiencing?? Before this I had the ability to deal with a log stress, I find it so hard to believe that this is happening to me and deep down think there is something medical wrong other than depression and anxiety
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 10 months ago.

Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.

any other medical issues?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No, have been perfectly healthy leading up to this.

Was thyroid tested?

did you have a brain MRI?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No not yet, I have been waiting to see neurologist for since May, appointment is on 23rd September. Thyroid came back normal in May- but has been prone in past to show as under active

I think it could be your thyroid

what was the exact level?

it could also be MS.

you need an MRI of the brain for sure

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The last one was around 5, taken in May, the abnormal was 6.75 a year before. What about the irregular periods? Is this a cause for concern?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I realise and recognise that I am not coping well with stress but is so unlike me- I am usually so composed. It's like I have the inability to deal with stress- and it started off with physical symptoms- no emotional ones
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Are the irregular periods cause for concern?

Yes, they are for sure

you need a GYN exam, hormone testing and a pelvic ultrasound

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Therefore could the hormones be causing the other symptoms?

yes