Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I am 10 weeks pregnant and am suffering quite badly with

I am 10 weeks pregnant and am suffering quite badly with anxiety. I have been worrying about many things so far seem to have managed to rationalise most of them - things like toxoplasmosis and various diseases. However this week has sparked the most recent paranoid worry - I was out at a restaurant and a family member I was with made quite a loud comment as the waiter walked away saying 'He was happy' in a sarcastic tone of voice. I was instantly paranoid the waiter might have heard, though it was me and spit on my food. i know it sounds crazy to any rational person, but it is causing me so much concern. I am worried I might have got hepatitis of some sort.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 10 months ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

You would not be at risk of getting hepatitis if the waiter spit on your food.

There is no reason for you to be concerned about this risk.

There is a very small risk of getting hepatitis A whenever someone else prepares your food, but it has more to do with personal hygiene, such as the food preparer not washing their hands after using the restroom, rather than the waiter spitting on your food.

If you are so anxious that you want to eliminate that risk from your life, you can simply stop eating at places in which someone else prepares your food.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
there is no risk of hepatitis B if the waiter did spit in the food?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Also if I did want to get tested for this how long would I have to wait?

No risk.

Hepatitis A has an incubation period of 2-4 wees. Hepatitis B has an incubation period of 1-6 months.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
if I waited 1 month and then got a test is this the best thing to do?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
If this incident did occur is there anything else that could be harmful to me or the fetus?

From a medical perspective, there is no indication for any testing.

There is no risk beyond the risk that I noted above whenever someone else prepares your food.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok last question - so there is no other risk from saliva?

I am sorry, but I had to step away from the computer.

I am not certain what you are asking that is different than when you asked "If this incident did occur is there anything else that could be harmful to me or the fetus?"

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
ok thank you. I apologise for the repetition I think it is because I am struggling with anxiety. Thank you for your answers.