Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
17799485

I have been suffering from a swelling/pain in my right

Hello, I have been suffering from a swelling/pain in my right abdomen just above the gap between my naval and hip bone. the lump is roughly the size of a ping pong ball however the pain/sensation extends further when I lay down/sit in a weird position.
This started 3 weeks ago, I told my doctor that I had minor confusion when it occurred (forgetfulness, missing something obvious etc) but they sent me away without any form of scan except for bloods and urine. They said it 'may' be a kidney stone even though I had no pain in my back.
This week however, I've felt an overbearing sense of doom and anxiety constantly which is causing me to have distressing thoughts which are seriously effecting my mental/physical health.
I went to an out-of-hours service last night and she was under the impression I had anxiety and that was making me produce these symptoms however in reality it is quite the opposite.
3 weeks later, the swelling in my right abdomen is still present and my urine ranges from a dark yellow to a clear white. This mental instability is very uncharacteristic of me and its seriously affecting my job and life trying to find out why it has come about.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I feel it is also worth mentioning that I have lost my appetite heavily in the last week and dropped nearly one stone of weight to just under 9 stone.Also my life situation is very stable at the minute and there are no clear indicators as to why I should be experiencing any form of anxiety and the intrusive feeling from the swelling in my abdomen actually helps to trigger the feeling of anxiety when I do calm myself down again.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
A final note - I don't drink or take narcotics however I do smoke marijuana and have done for over 7 years and usually if I feel any form of stress it is actually helpful to calming my mindset. However now, it exacerbates my imagination and helps deepen the feelings of impending doom. I have stopped smoking it for 2 days now and the feeling doesn't seem to have subsided at all.also if i distract myself by playing games or something enjoyable I can momentarily suppress these feelings and feel as though I'm in control again until my mind is relaxed at which point it returns.The feelings which cause me most distress are thoughts from sexual abuse I suffered as a child and my mind fixates on them and then makes me feel dirty and horrible. Since I have no actual issues in my life as it stands, this is the only thing my mind can think to be anxious about.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
second final note - my concern is that the problem with the pain/swelling in my abdomen is causing some form of chemical imbalance with my dopamine or serotonin etc and is causing me to feel constantly down and depressed when my entire life I have been very mentally strong in tackling depression or anxiety when it arises
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 10 months ago.

Dear customer,

Thanks for contacting Justanswer.

What is your question?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Could you possibly give me an educated guess/diagnosis as to what is causing these extreme mood shifts which are causing my mentality to be heavily effected? The physical symptoms are swelling in my lower right abdomen as stated above and I've had this for over 3 weeks. The swelling/sensation also travels to the underside of my rib cage (Right side) and make sitting/laying very difficult unless I do it in a certain way.I just want to clarify that the actual anxiety is out of the ordinary for me and I have no justified reason why it should be this bad when considering lifestyle factors, and I believe it to be very heavily dependent on this condition in my abdomen.Thank you.

Dear customer,

Thanks for your reply.

It is likely that the stress of not knowing the cause for your swelling is causing you anxiety. How is your sleep? For the swelling was there any imaging studies done to diagnose the cause or did you have a urine examination.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
There was no x-ray or physical scans of my abdomen at all, only a blood and urine test that was done within 24 hours of first contracting this problem, they said there was trace amounts of blood in my urine aside from that they mentioned no sign of anything requiring antibiotics or other treatment. However there was and still is significant swelling/discomfort in my abdomen.The problem for me is, I've been relatively calm about the entire issue with my abdomen. I was under the impression it was a kidney stone that can take weeks to pass (as the hospital told me as they sent me home) and therefore I didn't worry myself too much.However now, I've become very irrationally anxious and it isn't in regards ***** ***** issue in my stomach.
It wasn't until I considered the possibility of my abdomen being a root cause of this irrational stress that I began to seek more diagnosis into the swelling I've still got now.My mental state is fairly level headed and even in my darkest moments this week I know that my anxiety is not coming from my lack of diagnosis, my body feels very lethargic and weak at times and I don't feel like myself and I firmly believe this to be a major factor.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
also in regards ***** ***** once I fall asleep I'm fine, my dreams are pleasant (if vivid) however whilst laying down to fall asleep I've had one or 2 terrors that have shook me up and caused me to feel very uncomfortable.

Dear customer,

In that case your symptoms may be due to hormonal abnormalities.

Adrenal gland may release hormones that cause persistent or episodic high blood pressure in a condition known as pheochromocytoma.

Patients suffering from this condition will suffer from such episodic attacks of anxiety or sense of doom.

Thyroid problems, such as hyperthyroidism may also cause anxiety which was not previously seen in a person.

Please consult your doctor and get examined to know whether you are suffering from any hormonal abnormality. If present treating the hormonal disturbance will be beneficial with resolution of your anxiety symptoms.

Dear customer,

Please rate the answer with a positive rating by clicking 5 stars.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you very much, I will go back to my GP on monday and ask about this.
Is there possibly any over-the-counter remedies you could recommend in the mean time just to help maintain a calm mentality?I will rate your response after I have got a response to this message.Kind Regards
Stephan

Dear customer,

Make sure you get an adequate amount of sleep of at least 7 hours.

You may do mindfulness exercises for a few minutes every day.

You may drink chamomile tea since this may be beneficial for reducing anxiety according to some studies.

Hopefully these measures will maintain calmness for you.