Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
17799485

I have always had a memory problem, 15 years ago I was

Hi There
I have always had a memory problem, 15 years ago I was diagnosed with alzheimers following tests and a scan. In 2012 I moved areas and registered with a new GP. He said he was puzzled by the fact my records show me as having Alzheimers, He referred me to the Hospital to have a look at me, The specialist at the hospital agreed that I did not have alzheimers but a severe memory problem, this is the letter I got back.
I reviewed this gentleman, who was diagnosed with Alzheimers disease approximately 15 years ago, following the result of his neuropsychological assessment reveals impairment of memory in keeping with those reported by Mr McAteer himself. However , there is no evidence of any deterioration and the profile is not consistent with dementia. I explained this to Mr McAteer and he accepted this, and in fact told me he realized he probably did not have dementia. I do not feel he has to be seen again , but advised him that he would be seen if he was concerned about his memory deteriorating in the future.
My Question is, is there a clinical name for what I have, so I can put it on forms etc asking about my medical condition. ??
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 10 months ago.

Dear customer,

What memory problems do you have? What are your symptoms?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I can only remember things from 2 days ago, if prompted I can recall some things, times or dates I forget after a short time, hence I write everything in a diary

Dear customer,

This may likely to be due to mild cognitive impairment (MCI) which is a disorder of memory wherein there is greater memory and thinking difficulties than expected with aging, and this is an intermediate stage between the expected decline of memory with aging and the more-serious decline seen in dementia.

Take care.