Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

My dad is 81 and this afternoon his left arm and leg went

Hi, my dad is 81 and this afternoon his left arm and leg went tingly and he couldn't move them. He was also really thirsty. It lasted a couple of minutes and his arm and leg are back to normal now. He said it hasn't happened before but he has, in the last few months, felt a bit tense and unsteady and very thirsty and once he has a drink of water he is fine.
Do you have any idea what might be causing it. I wanted him to call NHS24 but he says he is fine now. He will go to the doctor on Monday but I'm a bit worried in case it is a stroke. He is back to normal and not confused.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. David

I am sorry your dad had these sypmtoms

it sounds like he most likely had a TIA or transient ischemic attack or a small temporary stroke which can cause temporary neurological symptoms like temporary paralysis, temporary tingling

he should see his doctors about this and see if he has risks for TIAs such as history of high blood pressure, diabetes, bad blood vessels, plaques in his carotid arteries, plaques in his heart or arteries, high cholesterol.

that is good he is going to see a doctor on Monday.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you think it is okay to wait until Monday or should he go to A&E?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

yes, it is safe to wait until Monday

he doesn't have these symptoms anymore.

he should be fine to wait until Monday

if he gets these symptoms again, or prolonged periods of weakness, numbness, personality changes, chest pains, shortness of breath, sweats, paralysis, then you should bring him to the A&E.

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay thanks.