Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
17799485

ENT question. Day 9 of an ear infection and the tinnitus is

ENT question. Day 9 of an ear infection and the tinnitus is driving me crazy. I'm really concerned it won't go away. The pain from the ear infection isn't as bad as it was but the tinnitus is worse. I wake with a headache every day. Also even though I've been on anti biotics for three days I'm still getting discharge from the ear. All over pillow at night. Is that normal? Should I go back to the doctor?
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.

Dear customer,

Thanks for your question.

Basically if there is no clinical improvement within 48 to 72 hours after starting antibiotics then one must consult his doctor again. However some of your symptoms such as fever and pain are responding to treatment therefore I would suggest waiting another day and taking the medication as prescribed by your doctor. And please don't worry about the tinnitus since this is temporary and will likely go away after a few days.

You may try the below mindfulness based tinnitus reduction exercise and see if this is beneficial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKcrrSww6Fw&list=PLuMWwLI51UGDBa2Faj-YDpdW2MbaX9dj0&index=4

So if the symptoms do not reduce even after another 24 hours please consult your doctor and most likely a change in antibiotic is indicated.

Take care.

Please rate the answer with a positive rating by clicking 5 stars above.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. So the fact I'm still getting discharge doesn't mean the anti biotics aren't working? It's true my fever and pain are reduced a bit
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.

Dear customer,

The fact that fever and pain have reduced implies that the antibiotics are working.

Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.

With another few doses of antibiotic there will also be a gradual reduction in discharge.

Take care.