Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I came off the depo shot on the 21st of July and was

Customer Question

I came off the depo shot on the 21st of July and was spotting for about 3 weeks. 1 to 2 days after i finished spotting i had unprotected sex. Its been a week today since then so is there any chance that i could be pregnant? I had some mild cramping yesterday but i dont think my period is due because i rarely get cramps. The other thing is is that my periods are sometimes irregular but i normally have them every 5 to 6 weeks.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 4 months ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

It would be very unlikely that you could get pregnant from an encounter during the first month off the Depo-Provera injections, particularly since you were spotting for the first three weeks.

However, since you ask whether there is any chance that you could be pregnant, the answer would be yes. It is possible that ovulation could occur during that first month and the woman become pregnant before a first period ever occurs.

Ultimately, the only proof that you did not get pregnant from this encounter would be a negative pregnancy test done 2-3 weeks after the encounter. Since your normal cycling has not resumed, you cannot use the usual recommendation to perform a pregnancy test if your period does not occur on schedule. But since the pregnancy test will typically be positive 2 weeks after ovulation, you can also use a 2 week period of time to perform the pregnancy test.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Since i only had one injection of depo provera would that make any difference as to how easily or how difficult it would be for me to get pregnant?
Also as there is a chance that i could be pregnant when would you suggest the best time to do a pregnancy test to get the mosy accurate results?

Even in women that receive only one injection, it would be unusual to get pregnant the first month off the injection. It would be slightly higher than in women that have had multiple injections, but it still would be unusual to get pregnant the first month. However, in either case, it is possible.

If you want the most accurate results, it would be better to wait until three weeks after the encounter. The pregnancy tests are very good at 2 weeks, which is why they can be used even the first day that a period is missed, but they gain some accuracy over the next few days. So, in a situation in which the day of anticipated period is not known, it would be very good at 2 weeks, but would be most accurate at 3 weeks.

Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience: Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
i finished spotting approximately on the 28th of August and yesterday i had a bit of bleeding, it only lasted for a few hours so it cant have been my period (its too early for that anyway) and i had some slight cramping. Could this be implantation bleeding?

Just as pregnancy would be very unlikely, implantation bleeding would be very unlikely. It is more likely that this is irregular bleeding that can occur until your body resumes normal cycling.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
But since the bleeding occured on the 10th day after unprotected sex, couldnt there be a chance that it is?

Yes, just as pregnancy is possible, implantation bleeding is possible, but both are equally unlikely.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
How long will it take me to get pregnant?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 months ago.

It varies, but it usually will take at least several months.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi again, i'm wondering if you can help me again. I've realised that my period is late. I've also worked out that the 1st day of my last proper period was 70 days ago on the 24th July. I have had 2 occasions where i have had some light irregular bleeding lasting a few hours but nothing else. Would this be due to the depo shot or something else. I'm not stressed or anything and i do find this quite unusual.

This can still be due to the Depo shot.