Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I experienced severe chest pain on Thursday and was given

I experienced severe chest pain on Thursday and was given GTN 2 x 2 sprays which immediately helped. Taken to CDU for blood tests & chest Xray which were clear & was sent home. Since then i've started with a cold and have developed cold sores both inside and outside my nose. I had the same in February of this year and received the same treatment as above. The incident in February occurred a couple of weeks after having both an ear infection & chest infection. Please advise
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 10 months ago.

Hello from justAnswer.

Is someone with this history, it is reasonable to consider whether additional cardiac evaluation is appropriate, such as with a stress test. It also would be appropriate to consider whether the is a GI problem that is causing this pain.

It is also true that chest pain can occur from lung problems, but it usually would not be immediately relieve by GTN. The GTN is commonly used to help to ease cardiac chest, but it also will relieve chest pain from the esophagus.

Your primary care doctor can perform an office assessment and arrange for such an evaluation.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you. Please explain what GI is. Also I had a stress test in March which was fine. I'm wondering if I might have Pericarditis?

GI stands for gastrointestinal.

Pericarditis is possible, but there usually would be findings on exam, ECG or blood work. An echocardiogram is good at detecting if there is any fluid accumulation related to pericarditis, but we usually have evidence of the pericarditis before an echocardiogram is done.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you for your swift reply and the useful information provided