Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Doctor
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice.
13711182

Could the use of domestic flea treatment,such as Indorex, be

Could the use of domestic flea treatment,such as Indorex, be harmful in early pregnancy?
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 10 months ago.

The company that makes Indorex claims that it's safe to use during pregnancy, and that no problem other than local irritation has occurred in pregnant women using the product. However, I would suggest having another person apply it, and avoiding treated areas as much as possible, just to be on the safe side.

I don't believe that studies have found any increase in birth defects attributable to exposure to permethrin, which is the active ingredient in Indorex. However, such studies are limited, as it's not possible to expose a lot of women to Indorex and compare them with other pregnant women not exposed.

So Indorex is probably not harmful to use during pregnancy, but I would avoid use or contact as much as possible, just to be safe. Best regards.

Thank you for your payment and rating.