Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
17799485

My wife is currently having Chemotherapy for a recurrence of

My wife is currently having Chemotherapy for a recurrence of breast/lung cancer. A close friend had her shingles vaccine today and was told she must not be in the company of anyone who is having chemo therapy for at least 3 weeks?
I am still suffering PHN after severe attack of shingles 6 months ago but have been told by my GP that I am now eligible to have a shingles vaccine and he will arrange it.
Would this endanger my wife condition or myself as our GP did not raise this when we both saw him last week. He did say that my wife who is also eligible for the vaccine should not have it at present.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Temporary password ***** sent is not working
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 10 months ago.

Dear customer,

Thanks for your question.

Basically the recommendation is that it can be administered to persons 60 years and older in the household who are immunocompetant. However if skin lesions develop, the vaccinated persons should avoid close contact with immunocompromised persons.

So the answer to your question is that you can have the vaccination. However your wife cannot have it now, and may have it after 3 months of chemotherapy.

Please read the below link:

http://www.aafp.org/afp/2014/1101/p664.html

Take care.

Please rate the answer with a positive rating by clicking 5 stars above.