Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

How do I help my 22 year old son's drink addiction? He is

Customer Question

How do I help my 22 year old son's drink addiction? He is losing everyone around him and he does ask for help once in a while and when we start putting things in place, he turns around and says everything is ok. What is our next step, he is hiding in his room, rarely goes out and is losing friends and girlfriend. He is lost and it doesnt help he has type 1 diabetes since age 14.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 10 months ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

There is no good answer to your question. If someone with an addiction wants to continue using the substance to which they are addicted, whether alcohol or drugs, there is little that family, friends, or their doctor can do to stop them.

It is good to be supportive whenever they express any interest or effort in remaining abstinent. It is also appropriate to be certain that you are not in an indirect way supporting the addiction, including rescuing him if he gets into trouble.

It may help you to seek counseling for yourself or to attend a support group for family members of people with alcohol addiction, and by helping and strengthening yourself, you may be better able to be certain that you are not indirectly supporting the addiction.

If I can provide any clarification, please let me know.