Family Physician
Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  GP with over 27 years experience including emergency medicine
1304720

For over 3 years had a pain that comes and goes feels like

Customer Question

For over 3 years had a pain that comes and goes feels like it's under my left rib sometimes at the side , below and to the side near the breast bone went to the docs 3 years ago all bloods were fine , been back to a lot of doctors since some say it's a pulled muscle ( didn't think it wud come and go) and others say it's gas where it moves about ,
I'm really scared I think it could be my pancreas please advise me
I do drink a lot of alcohol, which I've now stopped also were in drinking I get loose stools quite abit so I wonder if it's all related
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. David

I'm glad you stopped drinking alcohol

drinking lots of alcohol can cause inflammation of your stomach and gastritis and even stomach ulcers.

these can cause pain below your left rib where your stomach is and cause severe pain.

avoiding alcohol is the first step

then there are stomach acid reducing medications like maalox, mylanta, zantac, prilosec which can help as well.

I think you were having gastritis cause your pain.

I hope you have stopped drinking alcohol all together now.