Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

I am writing to you with regards to my amenorrhoea. I

Customer Question

I am writing to you with regards ***** ***** amenorrhoea. I haven't had my periods for the last 6 years. I was taking Cerazette, and my gynaecologist in France told me it was normal not to have periods while taking it. However, I have stopped taking the pills as I wanted to have my periods back. But I still don't have them. I saw a doctor, with whom I discussed about my anorexia. I am eating in quantity, bot not really in quality. I have bread, chicken, fish, fruits and vegetables, but avoid oil and butter in everything I eat. So I am not sure this can be considered as Anorexia? I am really afraid because I read it can mean that if I haven't had my period for a very long time, I may be unproductive.
My gynaecologist in in France, I now live in London and I don't know who can help me.
I hope you will be able to help.
Chloe
Expert:  Dr. David replied 11 months ago.

This is Dr. David

it sounds like you are eating properly.

I hope you are not loosing weight.

when did you stop the Cerazette pills?

how old are you?

are you able to see a doctor in the UK and get blood test to check your estradiol and FSH blood levels? these would be key to checking your hormone levles.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi Doctor,
I am 25 years old. And I have Diabetes type 1. I stopped taking Cerazette about a year ago now.
I have starting loosing weight about 5 years ago I'd say, but now I am more or less stable. However, I know I have a problem with food. I never really allow myself to eat sugary or fatty things. But I do eat. But its obvious to my family and friends that I have anorexia (I am 1.58 for 43kilos and I do believe I am a bit fat). The thing is, I sometimes think I am really fat, and sometimes way too skinny. The doctor I saw a while ago told me I suffer from anorexia, but not at a risky level. But he also told me to do blood test which I didn't do.
Can I just take an appointment to the GP for a blood test to check estradiol and FSH blood levels? When they wil give e the results, can it appear that I am unproductive ? I am really afraid. Are available to speak on the phone, or is it only an online service?
Thank you doctor for your answer,
Chloe

it is your thin body weight which is keeping you from having periods

your anorexia and body image issues is keeping you from eating enough calories to help you put on weight

that is why you are not having your period.

you should be seeing a psychotherapist or a counselor regularly about your body image and your weight and eating issues.

we do have a phone consult service for one phone call for a fee.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Dear Doctor,
I will do a blood test then and see another doctor. The only thing I don't understand, is that if I am not underweight, and I do eat (no oil no butter, but Ive seen than anorexia is defined as not eating at all, or really small quantities) but I do eat in quantities (lots of fruits, vegetables, fish, chicken...) and I allow myself to one piece of chocolate from time to time. I know I am not fat even though I find myself a bit fat. But I am definitely not as anorexic as the extreme pictures you can find when typing "anorexia" on google. So I am not sure whether I am or not - and if that's related to my non-periods ?
Thank you in advance,
Chloe

you are underweight

http://www.nhs.uk/Tools/Pages/Healthyweightcalculator.aspx

your BMI is 17.2

Healthy weight range for this height: 46.2kg - 62.7kg

the most important part of anorexia is body image. and you have abnormal body image to think you are fat when you bmi is 17

you need to see a therapist about your body image issues and your weight issues.

your no periods is because of you being underweight

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com