Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I came off use of zopiclone 3.75 mg for 2 weeks, then

I came off use of zopiclone 3.75 mg for 2 weeks, then tapering off fro a week - the last day I had tinnitus - I assume a withdrawal symtom? I then switched to prescribed quetiapine 2 x 25 mg /day as a sleep aid on Friday. I took 125 mg spaced over a day (Saturday). I have taken 25 mg per night since. Sunday I took naproxen for the first time for a sore shoulder. Woke up Monday and Tuesday morning with loud tinnitus which has persisted. Stopped the naproxen Monday night, but still have tinnitus today Tuesday. Could this be the quetiapine - I see it's an infrequent side effect?
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 6 months ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 6 months ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

Tinnitus is not a common side effect to the quetiapine, but it has been reported. It is so infrequent that we would typically look for other possible causes of tinnitus, but if no other cause is apparent, then it is more likely due to the quetiapine. The ultimate proof that it is from the quetiapine would be if the symptoms resolves if the quetiapine is stopped, but there should also be some consideration of what should be done instead of taking the quetiapine.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It is also a reported symptom of zopiclone withdrawal (see above information), and I am a recovering alcoholic, but is this likely to persist as above?
Also a side effect of naproxen, but I only took the prescribed dose for one night. Would this be enough?
I have been prescribed the related olanzapine for anxiety in the past, and i understand that this is also used low-dose fro sleep. Is that a possibility.

Yes, it can happen from withdrawal from zopiclone, but if both the original tinnitus and the later tinnitus were form withdrawal, it would usually not have a couple days without the tinnitus.

It is not likely from the amount of naproxen that you have taken, but you have also already stopped the naproxen, so in the rare situation in which the naproxen was the cause, it should improve soon from having already stopped the naproxen.

Tinnitus is not reported as a side effect to the olanzapine.

Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience: Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.