Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
17799485

I have a quite disturbing problem with intestinal gas. I

Hi, I have a quite disturbing problem with intestinal gas. I can't realise what exactly is causing it but I have noticed that it gets bad when I sit all they on a chair. I have an office job so it's embarrassing at some point. In my days off I'm fine, there are no problems, I had holiday a few weeks back and again no problems. Once I got back to work the issue started again. I have taken some pills, wind settlers, but they don't seem to do much good.I have no other simptoms, but something it's definitely not working right. I would really appreciate your support in figuring out how could I prevent them. Thank you
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 10 months ago.

Dear customer,

Thanks for your question.

Since when are having intestinal gas? Do you have any other symptoms such as diarrhea or constipation or abdominal pain? Do you suffer from increased anxiety?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Good morning,Thank you for your response!
It started about 3 months ago. I experience no abdominal pain at the moment but I did at the beginning of this 3 months. I do experience constipation but I am a smoker and I've noticed that after I smoke one cigarette in the morning I can easily go to the toilet. I have no other simptoms

Dear customer,

Thanks for your reply.

This is likely due to your diet and also because of the swallowed air during eating. Constipation may also have a role to play since it may make it difficult to pass gas.

The solution for this symptom is different for each person based on the cause, but with a little trial and error with the solutions mentioned below you will find relief and resolution of this symptom.

First of all what will help you is eating the food mindfully. You need to eat slowly, and chew your food thoroughly, with a good amount of time between each bite. This will prevent swallowing of air during eating besides other benefits.

Watch the below linked video to know more about mindful eating:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymIm2zxzG3U

Next step is stopping smoking with the help of your doctor since cigarette smoking can increase the amount of air you swallow.

Watch the below video to know more about how therapy may help you to quit smoking:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKAPuwMkW_Y

Also you may consult your doctor about the best type of exercise for you since physical activity may help move gas through the digestive tract.

Next solution is to identify the foods which cause intestinal gas for you. You may need to keep a food diary and also note down the severity of intestinal gas everyday and try to find out whether a particular food such as milk, or a certain vegetable, or a fiber rich food is causing the gas. Then you may reduce the intake of this offending food and see if produces good results.

You may also increase the intake of probiotics such as yogurt and see if this is beneficial.

Take care.

Please rate the answer with a positive rating by clicking 5 stars above.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Many thanks for your advice! Indeed, I don't have a great diet. I'll put in practice all your recommendations and wait for the results to come. Have a great evening

Dear customer,

You are welcome.