Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Doctor
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice.
13711182

I have been trying for a baby for over a year I have had two

Customer Question

I have been trying for a baby for over a year I have had two positive pregnancy tests but a week later I'm in pain and my hcg levels are 12 the doctors don't know why I am getting positive tests and not pregnant this also happened in may this year
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 10 months ago.

I will send a message for a phone call.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi I am available to take a call

If you could give me your number, I'll call you. Thanks.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
many thanks

I'm afraid I'm not able to call to the UK. Could we try to resolve your problems here through the chat mode?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi have you received my number?

Do you see my last message?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have now that's fine..

How is your general health?

Do you take any medications? Thank you.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No medication. I had a full term pregnancy in 2012 and my son was healthy. Before I fell pregnant they said I had follicles on my ovaries but whilst pregnant they disappeared. I am at a loss I'm not over weight I eat relatively well and my husband is the same.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I had the mirena coil removed last August and had regular 30 day cycles then in May this happened went to 28 day cycles and then on Monday the same thing happened back at ER with abdominal pain and they tell me I'm not pregnant?

We call it a chemical pregnancy when a woman gets pregnant but the pregnancy doesn't get very far and then a miscarriage occurs. It's really just another miscarriage, but it happens very early.

Having 2 miscarriages after having a normal pregnancy is not too unusual.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
But they said that my hcg level was so low they wouldn't expect to see it that low even if I was having a miscarriage? Both occasions the hcg level is 12 after 5-7 days from positive test

Most likely, you will get pregnant again and that one will continue and you'll have a baby.

I realize that it's very discouraging having the miscarriages, but miscarriages are fairly common. Usually it's just because the chromosomes are not normal, and it would have turned out badly.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
They basically looked at me as if I had made this up (the positive tests) and said They couldn't understand it. I felt like they didn't think I was ever pregnant

Did the positive pregnancy tests come after a missed period?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
the first test was the day before and the second was two days after missed period
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Dates would be 30th August 2nd test 2nd of September and then negative test at hospital on Monday 5th

Did you see an OB/GYN doctor?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
gynaecologist but she couldn't explain it she called her superior and they said I could be discharged as negative pregnancy test and low hcg but didn't say I had a miscarriage I was just left bewildered really

I'm not sure why they have trouble understanding an early miscarriage/chemical pregnancy. They are very common, and typically occur just as yours did, with a positive pregnancy test, then bleeding and no further pregnancy.

If you can, I would suggest a different doctor. However, most likely all you have to do is to get pregnant again. It could happen again, but the chances are much greater that the pregnancy would be a good one.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Even though this has happened twice and is exactly the same? With my hcg only being 12 that's all she kept saying it doesn't make sense I should be in 1000's if I was miscarrying

That makes no sense. The hcg will be in the thousands with a healthy pregnancy. One of the key signs of an unhealthy pregnancy is a low hcg.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
That's what I thought. Thank you I thought I was going crazy and I want a baby so much that maybe I had somehow got a positive test! I hope the next pregnancy is successful

There is a very good chance that your next pregnancy will be successful. Good luck!

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you so much!

You're very welcome.

Please click the rating stars. Thank you.