Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Doctor
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice.
13711182

Ive been given propranalol 40mg to help with my anxiety but

Ive been given propranalol 40mg to help with my anxiety but I'm too scared to take them-um very paranoid about the side effects! Can i cut them in half??
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.

You can cut them in half. The recommended dose to help relieve anxiety is 20-40mg, so half of a 40mg tablet would be a good start.

Propranolol is usually tolerated and has few side effect for most people, especially when taking 20mg. You could get a little light headed, slow pulse, or lethargy, but there's a pretty good chance you'll have no side effects.

You could even cut them in quarters (10mg), just to check for side effects, but they may then not provide much benefit for your anxiety. Best wishes.