Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

My creatinine is 72. EGFR is 83 i am 30 years old and no

My creatinine is 72 . EGFR is 83 i am 30 years old and no previous medical history only chest infections etc
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 10 months ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

Were these labs checked for a particular reason? Were you having any symptoms?

Or were these screening lab tests?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I had flu like symptoms and routine bloods. My crp was 86 treated with course of antibiotics
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Should i be concerned

No, there is no reason for concern.

While the creatinine is primarily checked as a reflection of kidney function, it can also be affected by a wide variety of other conditions. In particular, when someone has an acute illness that affects hydration, it can cause the creatinine to be falsely elevated. Most people that have a flu-like illness are not well hydrated, and they typically need to be drinking more fluids than usual to become well hydrated.

The eGFR is a calculated number that is based on the creatinine, so when the creatinine is falsely elevated, the eGFR will be falsely lower.

It is also true that we typically would only be concerned when the eGFR is below 60, but even the minor decrease in eGFR in these results will probably be normal if it were rechecked a few weeks after the flu like symptoms have resolved.

So, this is a common non-specific change that is seen during acute illnesses, including flu-like infections, and there is no reason for concern (other than taking the antibiotics that have been prescribed).

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.

Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance.