Family Physician
Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  GP with over 27 years experience including emergency medicine
1304720

I was prescribed fluoxetine this year for extreme pmt and

Customer Question

I was prescribed fluoxetine this year for extreme pmt and struggling to move past a low sodium seizure last year. Im just so anxious and have reached the point of desperate. After trying the prozac four times for up to 7 days at a time it was clear the bad reactions (uber fast heart,,off the wall anxiety, suicidal ideation etc) weren't for me I last took it for 5 days in July. This reaction was extreme and I couldn't "battle theough" as gp suggested.
Since them I have been increasingly unable to feel anything positive and feel detached unable to love and brain dead. Im terrified in trying to make myself better I'm irreparably damaged. I have a 2 year old son and I'm heartbroken I can't be the mum I need and want to be. I quit smoking but started again as the depression seemed worse. After a few days with the nicotine back in my system im desperate and don't know what to do.
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.

Dear customer,

Thanks for your question.

Have you considered therapy? Did your doctor suggest other types of antidepressant medications which act by a different mechanism and will not have the adverse effects that you unfortunately had?