Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

I am 74 years old with excellent health and no existing

I am 74 years old with excellent health and no existing medical conditions. On my recent physical medical check up my GP mentioned that I have enlarged prostate and referred to specialist who advised for PSA blood test and later biopsy of prostrate. My PSA results came 2.9 which is very normal. I am not sure if I need to go for any invasive procedure to rule out any problem because my PSA levels are not that high. Generally I never felt any symptoms or problems associated with recently diagnosed enlarged prostate. I need some reliable
Advice to undergo biopsy or just skip it. I worry any invasive procedure could deteriorate my quality of life.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

I am a cancer doctor.

prostate cancer screening is done by a PSA test and feeling your prostate gland by an experienced doctor

if your doctor felt hardening of your prostate, prostate fixation, a hard prostate nodule, these can be signs of prostate cancer in your prostate gland.

you can have prostate cancer in your body without any symptoms.

you can have prostate cancer with a PSA of 2.9

I would ask your doctor and urologist what they felt on their finger digital exam and why they want to do a prostate biopsy and if they felt anything which would suggest prostate cancer

just an enlarged prostate gland is not enough to suggest prostate cancer.

you can also ask for a free PSA blood test which can help. free PSA levels less than 10% can increase your risks for prostate cancer over 50%

also a prostate 3tesla prametric prostate MRI scan can look at your prostate and look for evidence of prostate cancer without a biopsy as well

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your advice. Is biopsy painful or may cause complications at my age and what are possible side effects of biopsy and how long it takes to recover after biopsy if results found to be normal.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

you are welcome.

prostate biopsy can be uncomfortable, but it is very rarely painful.

complications are very rare from prostate biopsies. less than 1-2% rate of complications.

there are risks for infection, but they give you cipro antibiotics to prevent infections.

there are some risks for bleeding and you can see blood in your semen and blood for a few days to 1-2 weeks after prostate biopsy

you would be able to get results from you prostate biopsies in 1-2 weeks to know if you have cancer in your prostate gland or not.

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com