Dr. K.
Dr. K., Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified with experience in primary care.
65718478

I am 20 weeks pregnant and we have been renovating our house

Customer Question

I am 20 weeks pregnant and we have been renovating our house with the past few weeks ....we have removed tiles from the bathroom walls,the house was built and painted before 1978,although several coats of paint have been applied since.The bathroom floor has been chased for plumbing reasons and the walls have been stripped of tiles.There has been a lot of dust-I am worried about any lead poisoning which may have been transmitted to me by breathing-there was no paint stripped(possibly only a tiny bit came off-only chasing and pulling tiles off the wall -both bathroom windows were opened for ventilation.....should I go to my doctor for a lead test?
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 1 year ago.

Most states require a disclosure if there is suspected lead based paint in a home. Dust from lead based paint can be injested over time and cause lead levels to rise. It would be too soon for this to happen. I would ask your Dr at the next visit. There is not much you can do anyway except to limit exposure going forward by controlling the rooms being renovated with sealing.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your response....there was no stripping of paint....more so dust from the plumbing of the floors and removing the tiles etc.this has taken place in two rooms but I'm afraid dust from both rooms has travelled out(as dust does)....I'm sure I have breathed in dust.there was no massive stripping of paint.....do you think I might have caused damage to the baby over the past 4 weeks(while work was going on)
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 1 year ago.

It sounds like there was minimal paint stripping. You have no worries.