Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

I have had a cough for the past 6 weeks, I have started to

I have had a cough for the past 6 weeks, I have started to cough less often now but when I do I cough so hard I gag and sometimes vomit , also causes my to wet myself and sometimes cough up clear phlegm.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.

Hi there.
I will be helping you out with your concerns today.

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.

Have you been seen for this?

Any tests done?

Do you have any other medical problems?
Are you on any medications for anything currently?
Please let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have high blood pressure . I was initially treated with Ramipril which caused a cough so changed to another drug , sorry not sure what this one was called (began with L) I then started this drug while on holiday and started a horrible dry cough so I assumed it was the drug so stopped taking it and the cough gradually went away however I then started to cough again since returning home 6 weeks ago , doctor changed my blood pressure medicine to Atenolol.
I have not seen a GP for the cough yet
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.

Is the cough like an irritating sensation in your throat?

Do you have fever?

Have you been given any antibiotic for this?

Any other medications that have been used to treat this cough?

Please let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I haven't seen a gp for the cough since stopping initial medication , so no antibiotics. I do not have a fever or any other symptoms. the cough just comes on from no where , only get an irritation in my throat when I breath through my nose and the air hits the back of my throat
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the cough is causing me to gag and sometimes wet myself
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.

I personally think that this is an allergic cough and medications like OTC loratadine and/or fexofenadine may help with your cough.

If those medications do not help, then a short course of steroid in the form of prednisolone will help at a dose of 25 mg twice daily for three to five days.

This session is open for any further questions that you may have.
I would appreciate it if you rate me by clicking on one of the rating options at your end on the top right hand corner as that is the only way we, the experts, are credited on here for helping you out.
Kindest regards

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a bottle of loratodine syrup , how much/often should I take ?
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.

Take 10 mg once daily to see if that helps.

Kindest regards