Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
17799485

My 4 year old grandson had a local focal seizure last week.

My 4 year old grandson had a local focal seizure last week. MRI scan next week. My wife is concerned that she may have caused it by feeding him beans from a container made of plastic which was placed into a hot oven and then microwaved. The dish looks as if some particles have melted.
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.

Dear customer,

Thanks for your question.

This is unlikely since there is no such case in the case reports where seizures were caused by melted plastic intake. Most of the plastic containers are microwave safe. In fact even patients who are suffering from epilepsy are advised to use microwave ovens since these are safer than conventional ovens. Please ask your wife to not worry and feel guilty regarding this since the seizure was likely due to another cause which needs to be diagnosed and treated.

Please read the link below for more information:

http://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/microwaving-food-in-plastic-dangerous-or-not

Take care.

Please rate the answer with a positive rating by clicking 5 stars above.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just to be clear - she used a convector oven(which doubles as a microwave) which was already hot so it's not so much the microwave effect she is worried about but the fact that bits of the plastic have melted. Can you give any more reassurance on that point ?
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.

Dear customer,

In most cases the cause for the seizure is unknown. What is reassuring is that no such case has been reported in the database linking intake of melted plastic with seizure. Also even when ingested, studies have shown that there is no significant absorption of the plastic.

Take care.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Doctor - my wife is less suicidal now !
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.

Dear customer,

You are welcome.

I know what she must be feeling because of having these terrible thoughts. She has no reason to believe that her actions were responsible for the seizures based on the present medical evidence.

Take care.