Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Morning Doctor. When i lay down the whole place starts

Morning Doctor.
When i lay down the whole place starts spining around, the same when i get up, i feel like passing out.
Many Thanks
Tom
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 10 months ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

How long has this been bothering you?

Have you tried anything to help with the spinning?

Which blood pressure medicines are you taking?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Just 1 wk, im on 75m Asprin and Irbesartan 300mg

Thank you for the additional information.

The medical term for this spinning sensation is vertigo. Vertigo is frequently worse in certain positions, because the inner ear has three semicircular canals at perpendicular angles to each other, and certain positions will elicit symptoms from one of the canals.

When vertigo is of short duration, such as in your case, the most common cause would be inflammation of the inner ear, called labyrinthitis. Labyrinthitis is frequently due to a viral infection and will typically resolve spontaneously. So the usual approach is to use medicines to relieve symptoms until the underlying inflammation resolves. Some of the medicines that can help are available over the counter, such as meclizine or dimenhydrinate, both of which are primarily marketed for motion sickness, but will also help ease vertigo from labyrinthitis. There are some stronger medicines available by prescription, such as diazepam or a short course of steroids to ease the inflammation, so if the over the counter medicines are not sufficient, you can see your doctor for consideration of other treatment.

There are other conditions that can cause chronic or recurrent vertigo, but we usually do not worry about these conditions until the vertigo persists for several weeks. I also ask about blood pressure medicines because certain blood pressure medicines can cause vertigo, but the irbesartan typically does not cause vertigo. It can cause lightheadedness or dizziness, but typically not vertigo.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Morning Doctor.
I should have told you, All my problems is coming from my Neck, i get like a Electric Shock, for a few seconds, my head is like a Buzz, sorry i should have told you that last week.Kind RegardsTom.

Vertigo from neck disease is not common, and it typically requires evaluation for other common causes of vertigo before saying that the vertigo is due to neck problems.

Vertebral artery disease will more typically cause dizziness or lightheadedness than a spinning sensation.

Since the spinning has only been present for a week, if you have not yet had any evaluation, then the management mentioned above would still apply. However, if you have already had the evaluation to indicate that the vertigo is due to your neck, then you should, of course, follow the recommendations of the doctor that did the evaluation and made the diagnosis.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Doctor.
My vertebral artery on my right has been blocked since 2009, i had a mini stroke, was in the London Hosptial, whats the way forward Doctor.Many Thanks
Tom.

For the spinning, the way forward is the management that I noted above.