Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
17799485

ENT question I've had an ear infection for over two weeks

ENT question
I've had an ear infection for over two weeks now (16 days but only on antibiotics for 9 dqys). On my second course of pencillin. The good news is the pain (which was severe for the first 6 days) and discharge (that lasted 8/9 days) have stopped. The very bad news is I have very loud tinnitus. I'm assuming this is because my Eustachian tubes are blocked (when I try and clear by holding by nose and blowing I feel some pressure on my ear drums but I can't equalise). My hearing is diminished but not as bad as it was. Initially the dr said it was swimmers ear but I think it must be inner ear if my tinnitus is so bad?
I'm REALLY WORRIED the tinnitus won't go away. I read on WebMD that in some cases the tinnitus remains even after the infection clears up. I don't think my infection has cleared (the doctor as of three days ago said it hadn't and gave me more antibiotics).
If I had faith the tinnitus would go is feel better I guess but I wake up with a headache every day and loud ringing it's so dehabilitating and depressing. I'm due to go on holiday on October 8 but i guess unless I can equalise by then I can't.
Please help
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 11 months ago.

Dear customer,

Thanks for your question.

In your case since this is due to infection, the tinnitus tends to clear when the infection clears. Please refer the below link

http://patient.info/in/health/tinnitus-leaflet

I hope you are practicing mindfulness exercises and within a few days after complete clearing of infection and mindfulness daily exercises you will be without any tinnitus.

Take care.

Please rate the answer with a positive rating by clicking 5 stars above.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
You say tends to clear. Is there a risk the tinnitus wo t go?What's causing it? How long will the infection take to clear it's been two weeks now?

Dear customer,

Some patients may experience tinnitus when there is an infection of the ear. Please do not worry since in majority of patients this will go away when the infection is cleared. And even in the few patients who may continue to experience tinnitus there is effective treatment today for the treatment of this symptom and no one needs to continue to live with tinnitus nowadays.

Take care.

With the correct antibiotic it will clear in a week.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I don't think a link to patient info is a very detailed answer. I've read that before.

That link was just to make you aware that different websites say different things since you had quoted webmd in your question. It was not for information.

Please take the information available online lightly since most of the times it is not accurate.

I have treated many patients with such ear infections and having tinnitus and not even one has tinnitus after the infection has cleared.