Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have lived with a person for 27 years, it has been a very

Customer Question

I have lived with a person for 27 years , it has been a very difficult relationship. Eventually he was diagnosed Aspergers (aged 62) and have a very bright son aged 26 years who is dyslexic.
He is estranged from me but has regular contact with his father. I believe that he has been alienated from me, when a chil/ adolescent his father admits to having used him as a sounding post when he was unhappy with me.
Both assert that I am mentally ill and have done so now for several years. I feel like they are 'gas lighting' me. I am emotional, and easily angered these days but do not think I am mentally ill. I have I believe good insight but just want to stop what I consider to be emotional abuse and am willing to be assessed indeed they have so undermined my sense of self that I think I need to be assessed. Please advise as whether I should have a psychological or psychiatric assessment
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

I am sorry that you have been going through this difficult situation.

In this situation, the usual assessment would be a psychological assessment. Actually, either assessment would be fine, but the primary advantage of a psychiatric assessment is when there is such problems that it is likely to need medicines. From your description of the situation, there is a good chance that the assessment may only be a reassurance that no mental illness is present, other than the stress in response to the situation.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance.