Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I lost my husband to cancer 2 years ago and grieved deeply.

I lost my husband to cancer 2 years ago and grieved deeply. I'm moving on after much help, including counselling. My elderly mother died peacefully in June this year a and I have not grieved for her. I don't find a problem with this as I did my best for her, she was ready to go and I know she is in a better place. However, I have frequent anxiety attacks which the doctors say us repressed grief and I was referred for more counselling. This is upsetting me as I can't seem to separate the two deaths in my mind and I'm hurtling back to the grief I suffered when my husband died. Do I need a psychologist or more counselling from a different person. The current one isn't understanding the situation.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 10 months ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

I am sorry for your losses.

Although there is no single correct answer in this situation, the first impression is that it would be reasonable to try counseling from a different person. If you feel that the current counselor does not understand the situation, it would be appropriate to seek a different counselor that can better understand the situation.

Ultimately, different people may respond to different approaches - individual counseling, support groups, etc. Even the same person may respond differently after various stressful life events. That is why there is no single correct answer. The bot***** *****ne is that whatever works for you is fine.

But since you feel that the current counselor is not understanding the current situation, it would be reasonable for the next step to be seeking counseling from a different person.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you for your reply. Do i assume you do not feel that my inability to separate the two deaths will require the services of a psychologist?

No. This can frequently be addressed through counseling, so may not require the services of a psychologist.