DR. EHTISHAM
DR. EHTISHAM, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS
41140702

I have had many thyroid checks due to my mother having a T4

I have had many thyroid checks due to my mother having a T4 of 101+ (Graves) when pregnant with me. My TSH has been 9 before and my T4 11 and has fluctuated many time ranging from 11 to 20 in 4 months and TSH 4-9. My doctor recently tested my antibodies and it showed positive for peroxidase of 500. My doctor says I don't have a thyroid problem but I feel so constantly achy and so tired. What should I do?
Expert:  DR. EHTISHAM replied 10 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Your TSH is definitely high and the TPO antibodies are also positive. Although your T4 levels are normal or slightly higher than normal. Now if you have symptoms of tiredness and fatigue I would suggest that you should have been on thyroxine. Anti-TPO antibodies and High TSH mainly goes in favor of hypothyroidism. So I would suggest that you do see an endocrinologist and get a prescription of thyroxine. It will help in relieving your symptoms. Some time T4 levels fall later in the disease but having high TSH and anti-TPO antibodies in someone having symptoms like you have most likely suggest a hypothyroid state

Good luck

Feel free to ask if any more question

If done Please leave a POSITIVE (3 – 5 stars, preferably 5) rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do I am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hello,Thank you for your reply. My T4 is currently 11 which is quite low isn't it?Also, would the average persons T4 fluctuate?

What is the normal reference value of T4 in your report ?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
My T4 normally averages around 18 or 19 but is now 11.Thanks,
Thanks for the information
Your report shows you have high TSH and low T4 so this favours hypothyroidism. Your symptoms also suggest hypothyroidism. Please do talk to your doctor to consider thyroxine replacement .Feel free to ask if any more questions
If done please leave a POSITIVE RATING so that I may be compensated for my work

Good luck

Feel free to ask if any more question