Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I hope you can help me. I am a 55 year old female. I live in

Hi .. I hope you can help me. I am a 55 year old female. I live in France, but am English. Over the last 2 or 3 months I have lost 6 kilos (14lbs). My diet or exercise has not changed, so I don't understand why I have lost this weight. I have not been feeling well and have also been suffering with a recurrent acute pain in my left side at waiste level which runs into my back as well also sometimes a pain under my left breast. This pain is not there all the time, more often it appears in the evening. I have always suffered from IBS and bloating. I went to see my doctor last week and he asked for blood tests and an ultrasound of my left side. My blood results came in this morning and things have changed since my last blood test in September 2015 (in France we all have annual blood tests). Firstly my sedimentation rate has increased from 1mm to 16mm. Next my cholesterol levels have changed and the lab have diagnosed Dyslipoproteinia Type 11b. Also my enzyme results have changed ... AST from 16 to 31 ... ALT from 10 to 32 ... Gamma Glutamyl from 41 to 67 ... Also Ferritine from 64.2 to 92.1 and TSH from 0.58 to 0.44. I had my ultrasound today and the Dr told me he couldn't see anything wrong. I am concerned and I would like your opinion please. Thank you, Ginny.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 8 months ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

Did you also get an iron and iron saturation test?

If so, could you provide those results?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I believe this is it ... 0.99 mg/l from 0.90
Ginny
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hi Dr Love ... Did you receive the iron results ? I am not sure it sent them to you !!! Ginny

I am sorry for the delay, but I got called away from the computer after I posted the request for information.

Most of these lab changes are not significant, but since several of them pertained to the liver, iron metabolism, and signs of inflammation, it is worth considering whether there is iron overload. When iron overload occurs, it tends to primary be a problem in the liver and cause inflammation of the liver.

The ferritin is a protein that reflects iron stores. But it is also a protein that increases as a non-specific response to inflammation. A more sensitive test is the iron saturation. The serum iron is normal, but they should have also measured the iron capacity and calculated a saturation level. If that saturation level is elevated, then it would be appropriate to be concerned about iron overload developing. However, if the iron saturation is normal, then there is no reason for concern.

Generally speaking, changes in labs within the normal range are not worrisome, so saying that a lab is higher than it was previously, but still within the normal range is not a concern. The only lab that is slightly abnormal is the GGT, and if the remaining liver tests are normal, it is not a concern. Increases of the AST and ALT within the normal range are not worrisome. These enzymes are very sensitive to liver problems, and we will see liver enzymes elevations into the 100s and 1000s when there is signfiicant liver disease. The levels that you have are not a concern.

The TSH is lower in the normal range and is approaching the lower limit of normal. Since you are having weight loss, it would be an option to check thyroid hormone levels, including T4 and T3 levels, and this would be more of a concern in someone having other symptoms or findings on exam that can be due to hyperthyroidism.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience: Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.