Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have had a forehead / scalp rash since end of March.GP in

Hi,I have had a forehead / scalp rash since end of March.GP in May prescribed Daktacourt cream & to change shampoo to a mild shampoo.Cream was great for 5 days,then came back.2nd visit a month later was prescribed Betacap because it's dry skin.2 1/2 months later it doesn't seem to be improving.Have also tried E45,Sudocrem,Hydrocortisone,Alloe Vera,something called Simple,& now someone advised Duvall Mousturiser,used it twice since yesterday.Got to the stage were it is impacting my social life as it's a wee bit embarrassing.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

I am sorry that you are having so much problems with this rash?

Could you attach a picture of the rash, including the area on the forehead and the area on the scalp?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hope you can see it ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Scalp seems to have it less now,just below the hairline & to my left is the worst.Currently have plenty of pimples below the skin on side of both temples which seem to have appeared this week.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello ?

Thank you for the pictures.

From the appearance, this does most look like it is a primary inflammation of the skin, and your doctor must have also thought that this was the case on the later visit when he prescribed the Betacap.

Since treating it as an inflammatory condition has not helped, though, the next step that would be reasonable would be to treat it with an antifungal. There are some inflammatory conditions that occur in association with a fungal infection. The Daktacort that originally helped traniently is actually a combination product with one ingredient for inflammation and another for a fungus.

At this point, it would be reasonable to treat more aggressively with antufungal interventions. There are over the counter antifungal that can be applied to the forehead, such as clotrimazole. There also is an antifungal shampoo, called ketoconazole (brand name of Nizoral), that can be used to clean the hair and scalp, and can also be allowed to flow over the forehead when rinsing it out of the hair.

If i can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Got the point now were I haven't washed my hair for about 6 weeks.

I think that changing to the ketoconazole shampoo is reasonable.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is clotrimazole a cream ? And how would that differ from Daktacourt ?

Yes, it is a cream. It is different because it is a dedicated antifungal cream, and it is as good as can be obtained over the counter.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that would reduce the redness & stop the spots / pimples ?

There is no guarantee that it will work, but this is the reasonable next step to achieve that goal, yes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok,well 3rd time lucky I hope.Thank you for your assistance.Have a good day.