Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

We have a three week old baby who is feeding excessively (at

Customer Question

We have a three week old baby who is feeding excessively (at least once an hour all day). He seems to be putting on weight quickly and not sleeping that much. My wife never manages more than 20 mins sleep at once and because of this she is really struggling. Our baby cries hysterically many times during the day and only calms down occasionally when sleeping on one of us. He hates the Moses basket. He seems to have lots of wind and that seems to distress him. However We find it hard to get a burp after feeding. He also looks like he is in pain when crying. It is very hard to stop the screaming. I have heard him swallowing regurgitated milk over the past few days which makes me suspicious of reflux. However he does not vomit any up. He also seems to always get the hiccups and he finds these distressing too. Any ideas of what we could do to improve his sleep and feeding and the possible reasons for his discomfort?
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 10 months ago.

Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.

This could be one of two things

1)an allergy to the milk (if you are using formula)

2)acid reflux

I have been there and I know how hard this can be

I'm sorry it is a struggle

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave a positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. Phil" in the medicine, cardiology or pharmacy categories if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-irondoc/

Thanks for using justanswer.com

Thanks for this questionPlease don't forget a positive rating. I appreciate it. :)if you have questions just reply