Dr. Gupta
Dr. Gupta, Doctor
Experience:  Vastly experienced MD Physician with 19 years of experience.
239748

My grandson aged 11suffers from acute constipation.he has

Customer Question

my grandson aged 11suffers from acute constipation.he has had this from age 3 and the doctors put in an a movicol regime which softens it up but he will not go on the toilet he gets hysterical when we try to get him to go.he tenses up and will not pass a stool .is there anything we can get him to make him relax and get his head to accept the toilet
Expert:  Dr. Gupta replied 1 year ago.

Persistent constipation at 11 years is a significant challenge and difficult to manage without the help of multiple health care givers including prefereably a pediatric gastroenterologist and a psychologist.

The basic cause of the symptoms is the fear of painful defecation, that is causing him to avoid passing stools and does not allow him to relax.

We need to use a local anesthetic cream to anesthetize the bum temporarily when he is going to the bathroom, and then use a regular stool softener without stopping it for at least a few months to a few years!

All the best,

Warm regards