Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

Is it reasonable that I could have peculiar sensations on

Is it reasonable that I could have peculiar sensations on just one side of the body (a sense of weakness in arm and leg that is not real; muscular aches & occasional sharp pain; knee that gives way unpredictability; a poor sense of balance causing staggering) and yet also have odd sensations in the head on the same side (a sense of "emptiness" behind the eye; dull pain at back of head; a feeling of "woollyheadness"). All of this goes on on the right side of me. The left side of me feels fine and normal, the right side feels subjectively to be a shrivelled mess.
Elementary, school biology tells me that one side of the body is supervised by the other side of the brain, so I think the above cannot be physiologically true - therefore I must just be nuts.
It is worth adding that, around the year 2000, I was diagnosed as clinically depressed and as having chronic fatigue syndrome. Many of the above symptoms were apparent then and have been ever since. I have resisted incapacity and, through various career changes, maintained the ability to work. I am, however, aware of a very slow but steady deterioration and am running out of ways to further "downshift" my career! Now I am a self-employed gardener (which is fab for dealing with depression) but worry that I maybe ought not to be driving any more.
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 8 months ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I would still like an answer and I am happy to wait. I may have to consult my own GP soon anyway as I have, for two weeks, been having persistent headaches above the neck on the right side of my head.
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 8 months ago.

Dr. Phil here

Do you have any other medical issues?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Long term issues only as mentioned. And asthma. Family history of bowel cancer (I'm regularly checked) and a sister who died due to brain tumour (which is on my mind - no pun intended!)

how old are you?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Fifty-one
Have you had an MRI? It could be something like MS. Has that been considered?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No, I've not had an MRI. I suppose I need to talk with my GP about this after all. But whatever the problem is, I still don't understand how, physiologically or neurologically, I can be having weird stuff going on on the right side of my body and weird sensations in the very same side of my head. Yesterday I was trying to walk the dog and and found, at one point for about eight or ten steps, that my right leg wanted to stay behind! I can't recall how I managed to keep moving forward - sort of swinging my leg around - but it all came right again. At least I haven't fallen or collapsed. I guess I should discuss with my GP - I just wanted to understand more first because this could really mess things up for my family.

This can happen in MS.

you can have problems with the brain that affect one side of the body then with nerves of the head and face

it is possible with diseases like MS

Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience: GP in the United States