Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

My girlfriend had strep throat/infected tonsils in March

Hi there,My girlfriend had strep throat/infected tonsils in March earlier this year. She had a course of antibiotics which helped, but a few weeks later she got a severe ear infection. Since the initial strep throat she developed red bumps at the back of her throat. She's not been suffering strep throat symptoms in the 5 months following, but she still has the same red bumps at the back of her throat.I took a photo in March 2016 and one today for comparison. I don't suppose you could tell me what those red bumps are or *why* she still has them after so many months since stopping the antibiotics (and not needing them).She's also a Type 1 Diabetic.
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 6 months ago.

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. I'm Dr. Hasan and I'll try to help you. I am reviewing your question and I will get back to you as soon as possible.

Thanks a lot for waiting. I am an Assistant Professor of Ear, Nose and Throat Surgery and can assist you. Does she has symptoms like nasal obstruction, nasal discharge, fluid trickling in throat, fever, pain, acid taste in mouth etc? Regards

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
In the last week and a half she has started complaining about:
nasal obstruction, which gets in the way of her breathing.
She says she has fluid trickling in throat from the nose into her throat.
She says she has a burning/stinging between her nose and throat.No fever/pain.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
She mentioned that if she doesn't breathe through her nose it doesn't burn/sting.

Thanks a lot for your input. I am sorry to hear about your problem. I am going to address your primary concern but later you can ask anything you want. These bumps are lymphatic nodules. They are normally present in the back of the throat. They get hypertrophied due to infection. Sometime they can persist and don't go back to normal. If there is a recurrent irritation to these nodes, they can remain enlarged. They can increase or decrease in size in between. In her case as per her description, the likely cause of her enlarged nodes is chronic sinus infection leading to recurrent irritation. Don't worry, I will address your question in two aspects; what you can do yourself and what your doctor can do for you. As far as what you can do yourself is concerned in such situations you can ask her to use OTC tablet Claritin once daily and OTC Nasacort nasal spray 2 puffs twice daily for 1 month. Hopefully her nasal symptoms will start getting better and as a result the throat will get better as well. Later she should visit an ENT doctor who can further assess her for sinus infection. If you are worried about this being something serious like cancer, I reassure you and give you my words that she doesn't have anything like cancer. Lastly I would like to share a home remedy. Take 250 ml of honey, add one table spoon each of ginger extract and black pepper. Make a solution and take one teaspoon twice daily. It might take 7 days or more but will help her. I wish her good luck and that she gets well soon. I wish you good luck and that you get well soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always. Regards

Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery