Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

I went to the Jefferiss at st Mary's in London as I thought

I went to the Jefferiss ward at st Mary's in London as I thought that I many have an STD. It was on Friday and it was because I have been experiencing pain in my Anus. I went and had all the checks, everything seemed to be fine but they did give me 2 proctoscopy examinations as I complained about how painful that area was. The first results came back as nothing on the day which is why they had to do a second swab. They ended up putting me on antibiotics as they thought that I had gonorrhoea in the anus, this I take twice a day. There were no signs around the area bruising or if it was to be painful and swollen.
The doctor said that if the pain didn't go away after 24/48hrs to come back, but they are not open on at the weekend. I was meant to only take 1 400 mg of ibuprofen x2 pre day plus paracetamol 1 500 mg every 4 hrs. The pain has been so bad that I have done most of the ibuprofen.
I have examined the area myself and while lying on my right hand side it seems to be on coming from the right side of the anus and I can definitely feel a tense muscle on that side. It feels like a constant strain in my ass but from when the pain started on Tuesday, I now cannot sleep.
Please let me know what you think could be my next steps as the pain now is just unbelievable and I have barely slept again.
Best,
Matthew
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 10 months ago.

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. I'm Dr. Hasan and I'll try to help you. I am reviewing your question and I will get back to you as soon as possible.

Do you feel any pain while passing stool? Do you have constipation? Regards

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi,No to both of those. It is not the most comfortable easing stool, but I'm having pain whether I do so or not 24/7

Have they done CT scan of the area?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No, it was only a sexual health clinic.

Thanks a lot for your input. I am typing an answer for you. Please wait.

Thanks a lot for waiting. I am sorry to hear about your problem. I am going to address your primary concerns but later you can ask anything you want. As per your description, as per tests done so far and specially as per your symptoms, the likely possibilities in your case can be conditions which cause spasm of the anal muscles. Two such conditions are proctalgia fugax and levator ani syndrome. There is another possibility of having some problem in your perianal area. It's the area which is around the anus and it can't be seen on proctoscopy. The point is what you should do now. Ideally you should go to A&E to get examined. Even if it's a spasm, you will need stronger prescription pain killers and/or muscle relaxants.

I am still typing answer. Please wait for more guidance.

In case they don't suspect a spasm, they can go for a CT scan to get to the cause. Possibility of a fissure is there but they should have seen on proctoscopy. Till you visit A&E you can try putting over the counter available lidocaine hemorrhoidal gel thrice daily and should take tablet Aleve twice daily instead of ibuprofen as it is better and stronger. I reassure you and give you my words that anything serious like cancer is out of question. Even STD in the absence of any other symptoms is not likely. I wish you good luck and that you get well soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent services but if you have received anything less, please ask anything you want. Your excellent feedback is requested and will be appreciated. Regards

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** going to try and go to the local pharmacy now. Am I able to contact you later or does this session only have a set period of time?

You are most welcome. You can rate my answer now and can remain in contact with me even after you have rated my answer. I will be glad to assist you. Regards