Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

Lately I've been having labored breathing. I'm very active

Lately I've been having labored breathing. I'm very active and fit and it seems to happen later in the day. Also, sometimes I feel like something is creeping up into my throat. Usually after coffee or fizzy drink
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
the labored breathing happened a day after taking azithromycin 3 months ago, but then disappeared. For the last 3 weeks or so, it has been happening on a daily basis. But not always as bad as other.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 8 months ago.

Hi there.
I will be helping you out with your concerns today.

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 8 months ago.

Can you please mention your age and gender.
Do you have any other medical problems?
Are you on any medications for anything at the moment?
Have you been seen for this as yet?
Had any tests done?
Please let me know.
Kindest regards

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
26 year old male
No medical problems
No medications
I went to the hospital and all of my blood work came back perfect. White blood, red blood, hemaglobin, etc.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 8 months ago.

Have you had breathing problems before?

Are you an anxious type of a person or a laid-back type of person?

Please let me know.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No, never have had them before. It almost feels as if sometimes I am having to force myself to take a deep breath. I'd say I'm a bit more anxious than laid back.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 8 months ago.

Have you had any lung function test or spirometry done at your GP's office to have a look at the function of your lungs?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No, not yet. They've listened to my breathing and everything seemed fine. What I do notice is that it seems to be worse when I'm tired or later in the evening. If I am active and running around I don't notice it and can run for a long period of time. Unfortunately, the doctors at the hospital couldn't tell me much when I explained this. Also, my throat often feels very dry as well.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 8 months ago.

I think that the best thing for you to do is that you need to have a lung function test or spirometry done to check your lung function.

You may also require a CT scan of your chest to be sure it is normal.

Let me know if you have more questions.
Please rate me by clicking on one of the rating options at your end and then submitting your rating as that is the only way I am credited on here for helping you out.
Kindest regards

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
My only question to that is, why doesn't it bother me at all when I'm running at high speeds for long distances.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 8 months ago.

That is surprising actually.

Difficult question to answer.

I would do lung function tests and then go from there.

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 8 months ago.

I am sorry that you were not satisfied with my answer but I firmly believe that the diagnosis of exercise induced asthma must be considered and ruled out in your case which is why I think that you should have lung function tests especially on a treadmill after strenuous exercise.

Using a puffer like a ventolin puffer before exercise will help you with your symptoms.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
See I find that strange, because when I exercise, the breathing problems are non-existent. It's not in my lungs, but more so like something creeping up into my throat. Could it be a hiatal hernia/acid reflux/GERD, of a mixture of one or more of these? It initially happened the day after taking a strong anti-biotic.I have no wheezing and have tried an inhaler, but it didn't seem to help at all.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 8 months ago.

Hiatal hernia is a possibility, I agree, but the symptoms of acid reflux i.e. heart burns or burning in the upper part of your tummy are absent. Also, symptoms with hiatal hernia are worse at night or when you lie down as the acid comes up into the food pipe when you lie down due to gravity.

There is no harm in trying OTC omeprazole 20 mg twice daily to see if that would help.

If it is an acid related problem omeprazole would help for sure.

I would appreciate it if you could reconsider the negative rating and leave a positive feedback.

I would appreciate that.

Kindest regards

Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience: Doctor of Medicine
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I will, thank you for another option for me to try as I feel this is more likely than a lung capacity issue.